Unfortunately, car crashes are something that almost every driver or passenger experiences at one time or another no matter who's fault it is. However, when you’re involved in a car accident, do you know what to do to keep yourself safe? Likewise, it is important to understand what some of the key causes of car crashes are, and what you can do to avoid one. In addition, if the unexpected does happen, it is important to understand what to do afterward a car crash to keep yourself or a love one safe.
According to the Missouri State Highway Patrol, there are many things that contribute to car crashes. Such things include:
- Driving while impaired.
- Speeding, or traveling too fast for road conditions.
- Younger or mature driver involved crashes.
- Inattentive or distracted driving.
Furthermore, the Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT) has seen a 12 percent rise in car crashes, especially fatalities, due to drivers and passengers not wearing seat belts. In 2014, MoDOT recorded 766 people died from fatal car crashes, and in 2015 it totaled 857 deaths for the year. When you or a loved one is involved in a car crash, it is imperative to keep in mind the following to help you at the time of the accident.
Keep Your Vehicle Prepared
- Keep things in your trunk that you may need such as warning triangles, emergency flares, or a blanket in case the weather is cold outside.
- Keep a pen and pad of paper in the trunk to take down all of the other party’s information (if applicable), as well as any relevant medical information emergency personnel may need.
Keep Yourself Prepared
- Try to remain calm until help arrives on the crash site.
- Check yourself or others for injuries; always call an ambulance or 911 when in doubt.
- If possible, move to the side of the road or another safe place until help arrives.
- Call police.
- If you’re able, take photographs of your vehicle, the other vehicle, and any other pertinent information.
The skilled Kansas City car crash attorneys at The Klenofsky Law Firm have handled numerous automobile accident cases and can help you. We will vehemently fight on your behalf to make sure you receive the fair financial compensation you deserve. Please contact us today for a free consultation.