With the increase in technology also come the dangers that follow. Furthermore, with the increase in popularity of mobile devices sadly also follows dangers of using it while driving. Likewise, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NTSA), in 2012, an increase of 18 percent of all fatal car crashes were as a result of driving while distracted; 3,328 people were killed and 421,000 injured.
Tragically other statistics for driving while distracted in America is as follows:
- 40 percent of American teens admit to being in a car when a driver has used a cell phone in a dangerous way.
- Texting while driving increases a crash risk of 23 times higher than not driving while distracted.
- Eleven percent of drivers 18 to 20 years old who were in a car crash and survived admitted to texting while driving.
Now it seems the best way to combat texting while driving or other forms of driving while distracted is to inform consumers through outreach activities of the dangers of using technology while behind the wheel. Additionally, the NTSA have complied the following guidelines to help parents express the dangers of driving while distracted with young drivers:
- Be Clear: Give clear instructions to teens to not drive while using their mobile device.
- Be the Example: Never text and drive in front of children; parents are the example for their children and they learn by what they see.
- Become Informed and Active: Create rules for yourself and drivers in your home to not drive while distracted.
Technology is here to stay and will only continue to increase in the future. Therefore, it is important to take the necessary steps now to ensure your family’s safety. Additionally, in the same manner that wearing a seat belt can save lives so does putting down a mobile device while behind the wheel. It is important for young drivers to understand that driving while distracted is similar to driving while intoxicated; both are preventable and can cause devastating consequences.
When a car crash does occur, it is imperative to hire a skilled Kansas City car crash attorney to help you through the litigation process. A full investigation will need to be conducted to ensure the negligent party is held accountable. Likewise, the reason or cause for the car crash must be revealed as well. A skilled car accident attorney can help you through your traumatic experience.
The esteemed car accident lawyers at The Klenofsky Law Firm have helped successfully settle numerous automobile cases and can help you. We will vehemently fight on your behalf and make sure you receive the fair financial compensation you deserve. Please contact us today for a free consultation.