Kansas City Burn Injury Attorney
Our Team Is Here to Fight for Burn Victims in Their Times of Need
There is nothing that properly describes the agony of suffering a serious burn injury. Even small first-degree burns can sting for days. When an accident causes deep and/or widespread burns, a victim’s suffering is multiplied manifold. Unfortunately, aside from being painful, burn wounds also take a long time to heal. Unlike most other injuries, serious burns cannot mend on their own. Patients may need skin grafts and physical therapy as part of their long-term recovery program.
These injuries not only disrupt a victim’s life but also come with serious expenses. Anyone suffering a severe burn wound that was caused by someone else’s negligence likely has standing to bring a claim for compensation. If you or a loved one is in this position, taking this step can help ensure your financial stability and continued access to the specialty treatment a burn victim needs. Our team can help you understand your legal rights and why filing a claim may be advantageous. We’re happy to learn more about your situation and offer qualified advice in a free consultation.
Call our Kansas City office any time at (816) 865-5700 to schedule your consultation. We offer home visits if you can’t make it in to visit our team.
Types and Classifications of Burn Injuries
Burn injuries can be caused by a variety of accidents and mishaps, and by a variety of circumstances. Most people conjure the image of a raging fire when hearing about burns. This is one way someone can be burned, but it’s not the only method. Our team can help with all types of burns:
- Flash (caused by explosions)
- Scalds (caused by hot liquids or steam)
- Chemical (also known as caustic)
Though the cause of injury is different across some of these burn types, the end effect is the same: skin cells are completely damaged by a harmful transfer of energy. These wounds, aside from being painful, put a patient at an increased risk of infection as well as disrupting the internal balance of the body. The severity of a burn injury can depend on factors like the intensity of heat, the length of exposure, and how much of the body was exposed. Burns are classified according to these factors:
- First-degree burns typically do not need medical intervention to heal. They impact only the outer layer of the skin, called the epidermis.
- Second-degree burns go one layer deeper, affecting the dermis as well. Patients may be able to heal with medical support, or they may need skin grafts.
- Third-degree burns damage all layers of the skin, including nerves, hair follicles, and sweat glands. Burns of this degree and higher cannot heal on their own; a patient will need tissue grafts and will likely sustain noticeable scarring.
- Fourth-degree burns penetrate into the fat layer below the skin. While tissue grafts may be able to aid healing, patients may require a medical amputation if the damage is too extensive to fix.
- Fifth-degree burns also affect muscle and underlying organs. Due to the severity of the damage, victims typically are not able to survive these injuries.
- Sixth-degree burns are full-penetration burns: They reach all the way to the bone. Such burns, when they occur, are always fatal.
Burn Injuries and Liability
Burn risks are around us every day, though we may not think about it: Electricity, household appliances that heat up, and even chemical cleaners can cause injury. All it takes is one moment of distraction to cause a severe burn. In some cases, one person’s negligence can affect many. Burns may be caused by:
If you or your loved one experienced a burn in such circumstances, and it was caused by another party’s actions or mistakes, talk to our team today to see if you are eligible to bring a claim. When someone else is liable for an accident that can so thoroughly change a life, it is only fair that they help the victim(s) recover.
Call Our Burn Injury Attorney for Help
We know how time- and energy-intensive healing from a burn injury is. These wounds, when severe, are among the most serious harms a human can survive. This is all the more reason to pursue compensation. If your life has been changed, both in the short-term and the long-term, you need support to help you move forward in your new reality. Our team can help you identify potential elements of your claim including:
- Medical bills
- Future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Lost/reduced earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
We want to make sure you are as well taken care of as is possible if you’ve been through such a serious and painful event. Reach out to our team at any time to learn more about your legal options.
Klenofsky Law Firm is available 24/7 at (816) 865-5700. We offer free consultations, in our office or your home, throughout the Kansas City area.
Great Work!!- Sarah Heinz
We knew that he would not steer us in the wrong direction- M.H
I was in a car accident and he took very good care of me- J.G.
Mr. Klenofsky has been nothing but professional- E.F.
Joseph’s compassion & dedication to his clients are paramount- J.G.